Welcome to the Canterbury-West Coast Division of the Cancer Society of New Zealand
Today 65 New Zealanders will hear the words “I am sorry you have cancer”.
At the Cancer Society, we know how a cancer diagnosis can affect every aspect of your life and we are here to help you through.
The Cancer Society can help you get to your medical appointments or provide accommodation during your treatment in Christchurch if you live some distance away.
Our specialist staff are ready to support you during your treatment and answer any questions you have, big or small.
And if you want to talk – we are here to listen.
All New Zealanders will be aware of ongoing developments in the global spread of this disease. At this stage the Cancer Society is following the guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health and other Government Departments. Alongside these recommendations the Cancer Society encourages people to be actively aware of steps they can take to protect themselves. These include:
- Being alert for anyone (including yourself) who exhibit any symptom – fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue and shortness of breath
- We advise anyone with symptoms to self- isolate and to contact either the Healthline Team 0800 358 5453 or their GP or emergency health centre by phoning ahead of the visit
- Practicing good hand hygiene by washing hands frequently with soap and water and drying them well, before and after eating and after going to the toilet
- Covering coughs and sneezes with clean tissues or your elbow and dispose of tissues immediately after use
- Using an alcohol-based hand sanitiser, if you aren’t able to wash and dry your hands
Please refer to the Ministry of Health website for up to date information.
ALERT LEVEL 2: Here is some information you may find useful for people who are at risk from COVID-19 due to age, and/or existing and underlying health conditions.. Click here