Emotions and cancer-Ngā Kare ā-roto me te Matepukupuku
This section discusses the emotional effects of cancer.
Everyone copes in their own way when they hear they have cancer. A cancer diagnosis may cause you to feel a range of strong emotions such as shock, anger, sadness, uncertainty, and hope. These are all natural reactions.
In a traditional Māori approach, wairua (spirit), whānau (family), our relationship to the land and the natural world, and the physical effects of illness are not separate from our emotions or our mental health.
- Read about emotions, cancer and Māoritanga here
- Read about cancer and emotions from a Pasifika world view
You can find more information and support through these sites
- Cancer Society—Cancer Information Helpline 0800 CANCER (226 237) for further information
- AnxietyNZ Trust phone line—0800 269 4389 (0800 ANXIETY)
- Depression.org.nz Helpline—0800 111 757 www.depression.org.nz
- Government Health & Safety Lead (2018) A Guide for Maintaining Health and Wellbeing www.healthandsafety.govt.nz/assets/Documents/A_Guide_for_Maintaining_Health_and_Wellbeing.pdf
- Healthline—0800 611 116 www.healthline.govt.nz
- Lifeline Aotearoa—0800 543 354 www.lifeline.org.nz. Lifeline aims to reduce personal stress through 24/7 counselling and other services.
- Man Alive (New Zealand)—www.manalive.nz.
- Need to Talk?—1737 for free 24/7 counselling
- Samaritans Aotearoa New Zealand—0800 72 66 66 www.samaritans.org.nz. Samaritans operates a 24/7 crisis help line.
- Family Services Directory—www.familyservices.govt.nz/directory
- Family budgeting services—www.familyservices.govt.nz/directory
- Financial capability mentors (budget advisors) www.fincap.org.nz
- Kidsline—0800 543 754 www.kidsline.org.nz. Telephone support line for kids. Call free between 4pm and 6pm weekdays.
- Supporting Families New Zealand—https://supportingfamilies.org.nz
- 0800 What’s Up?—0800 942 8787 www.whatsup.co.nz. The Kids Help Foundation Trust offers a telephone counselling service for children and young people.
- Youthline—call free at any time: 0800 37 66 33 www.youthline.co.nz.
Books and resources
- Cancer Society Auckland-Northland Division’s Relaxation and Mindfulness CD
- Cancer Society Wellington Division’s Relaxation and Visualisation CD http://bit.ly/2gmRdaN
- Life, Happiness…and Cancer by Phil Kerslake, Steele Roberts, Wellington, NZ. 2006
- A Mild Touch of the Cancer by David Downs, NZ, 2019 – also available on https://www.audible.com.au/ep/new-zealand as an audiobook, and as an e-book on Amazon Kindle
- Finding Hope that Heals by Wendy Schlessel Harpham, 2020 (free e-book)
- Healing Hope – Through and beyond cancer by Wendy Schlessel Harpham, Curant House, USA, 2018. Blog - https://www.wendyharpham.com/writing
- The Cancer Whisperer: Finding Courage, Direction and the Unlikely Gifts of Cancer by Sophie Sabbage, Hodder & Stoughton, UK. 2017
- Podcast: Managing Fear https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/podcasts/episode-11-managing-fear/
- Podcast: Coping with a Cancer Diagnosis
- Cancer Council Australia—Emotions and Cancer (2019)